Yoga can support children with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), Down Syndrome, Learning Disability, ADD / ADHD, Anxiety Disorders, Mobility Challenges, Trauma, Behavioural Challenges and more.
Children’s yoga involves yoga poses, mindfulness activities, games, breathing practices and relaxation techniques delivered in a way that is fun and engaging for children.
Yoga can be used to help meet a child’s therapy goals, complement existing suite of therapies or be utilised as a short-term practice while the child is on a waiting list for Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists etc.
Benefits of yoga
- Sensory Processing – Yoga can support a child’s sensory processing or sensory integration. Yoga involves poses and activities which provides vestibular input (balancing and holding poses, inversion) and proprioceptive input (balancing, standing, prone, forward folding and twisting poses).
- Cognitive and Co-ordination Skills – Many of the yoga poses and activities involves crossing the midline of the body. This helps the left (logical) and right (creative) hemispheres of the brain communicate and assists with developing co-ordination and motor skills.
- Self-Regulation – Specific breathing techniques and yoga poses can assist children self-regulate their emotions. This can help reduce stress, anxiety, and hyperactivity.
- Gross and Fine Motor Skills – Yoga helps develop strength and increase muscle tone in the body, in particular the large muscles important for developing gross motor skills. Yoga also helps strengthen joints, as well as intrinsic muscles in the hands through poses such as downward dogs and mudras (hand gestures), which is important in developing fine motor skills.
- Relaxation – Yoga teaches relaxation techniques, which activates the body’s parasympathetic nervous system (PNS). PNS is responsible for rest, digestion, energy conservation and slowing the heart rate.
- Other benefits – Yoga encourages body awareness, helps with language development (through visualisations, visual cues and verbalisation), improves focus, attention and more!
How Namaste Yogis Can Help
Namaste Yogis provide home visits and a tailored program for your child. We spend the time to get to know your child and understand their needs and goals.
Our program can be NDIS approved for those who are NDIS Plan Managed or Self-Managed. Please make sure you seek guidance from your Plan Manager or your Local Area Co-ordinator (LAC). We can also help you provide the necessary information to help yoga become an approved activity to add to your child’s programs.
Adults Yoga – Namaste Yogis can also support adults who have additional needs as above or are recovering from injuries. Each session is tailored to meet the client’s needs and goals. The adults yoga program is also suitable for those who are NDIS Plan Managed or Self-Managed.
About Namaste Yogis
Namaste Yogis specialises in teaching yoga and mindfulness to children in various settings. At Namaste Yogis, our mission is to help children develop a better relationship with themselves so that they can have a better relationship with others. Through yoga and mindfulness, we guide children on how to treat themselves with love and kindness, so that they may treat others and the world, with love and kindness.
Namaste Yogis’ founder Regina is a registered adults and children’s yoga teacher with Yoga Alliance and have completed the following training:
- Yoga for Children (Autism, Neurodiversity & Diverse Needs), Asanas for Autism and Special Needs
- Zenergy Kids Yoga Therapy, Zenergy Yoga
- Zenergy Kids Yoga Foundation and Advanced, Zenergy Yoga
- Yoga for Kids and Families Teacher Training, Rainbow Kids Yoga
- Diploma of Yoga Teaching, Western Wellness
- Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training, Bliss Baby Yoga