• Visit us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Follow us on instagram
We have changed our name! Kids on the Spectrum is now called Living on the Spectrum

Emmerson School

Emerson School opened in February, 1973, in Dandenong. Its mandate was to provide for primary and secondary students with mild intellectual disabilities. An enrolment ceiling was set at 144. This was reached in 1979. The school’s original name was Dandenong Specialist School. By 1983, the School Council was of the view that this name had a stigmatising effect on communal attitude and expectation. It was with great celebration that the new name of Emerson School was officially approved on 2nd April, 1984 by the Office of the Place Names Committee (Department of Crown Land and Survey). The school was named Emerson School in honour of Les Emerson, The Director of Special Services, Department of Education, from 4th March, 1968 until his retirement on 18th July, 1976.

1430 Heatherton Road, Dandenong 3175

Return to directory

Download our Media kit